From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:32:38
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Let's try something new. I would like to get opinions from as many
3 > people as possible about GLEP 55 and alternatives listed here in order
4 > to get some idea what the general developer pool thinks. Everyone is
5 > only allowed to post a single reply to this thread in order to make it
6 > easy to read through. The existing thread should be used for actual
7 > discussion about the GLEP and the alternatives. This should be a useful
8 > experiment to see if we can control ourselves :)
11 Thank you Petteri. I knew there was a reason I voted for you.
14 > 2) EAPI in file extension
15 > - Allows changing global scope and the internal format of the ebuild
16 > a) .ebuild-<eapi>
17 > - ignored by current Portage
18 > b) .<eapi>.ebuild
19 > - current Portage does not work with this
20 > c) .<eapi>.<new extension>
21 > - ignored by current Portage
22
23 a) then c). I personally think b) is a bad idea that will just slow the
24 implementation of this even more.
27 > 3) EAPI in locked down place in the ebuild
28 > - Allows changing global scope
29 > - EAPI can't be changed in an existing ebuild so the PM can trust
30 > the value in the cache
31 > - Does not allow changing versioning rules unless version becomes a
32 > normal metadata variable
33 > * Needs more accesses to cache as now you don't have to load older
34 > versions if the latest is not masked
35 > a) <new extension>
36 > b) new subdirectory like ebuilds/
37 > - we could drop extension all together so don't have to argue about
38 > it any more
39 > - more directory reads to get the list of ebuilds in a repository
40 > c) .ebuild in current directory
41 > - needs one year wait
42
43 If it really comes to it b)? Tho it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
46 > Regards,
47 > Petteri
48 >