From: "Denis M." <god@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Expanding categories' descriptions
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 17:29:20
1 Hello,
2
3 (I was redirected from gentoo-doc@ to ask this here.)
4
5 I think it's a good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found
6 in the corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions
7 of which packages are welcome to fit in which categories.
8
9 The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the best
10 shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is about and
11 what packages are to be found there.
12
13 This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
14 user-contributed ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not sure
15 about it either).
16
17 This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are to be
18 submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should provide a better
19 understanding of the categories.
20
21 If expanding the metadata.xml files does not seem a good idea, we should
22 at least make a little bit more comprehensive description somewhere in
23 the gentoo.org/doc/ or wiki.gentoo.org pages.
24
25 What do you think about it?
28 Regards,
29 Denis M. (Phr33d0m)