From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the state of dev-lang/lua
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:16:29
1 On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 04:23 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > > Are there more packages in the tree that are locked to a specific version of lua?
3 > Yes, several, and more on that in a second.
4 >
5 > I think packages will need one of two variables:
6 > LUA_SINGLE_TARGET
7 > LUA_TARGETS
8 >
9 > LUA_TARGETS is probably only going to be used by the dev-lua/ modules.
10 > LUA_SINGLE_TARGET is probably going to be used by MOST packages that
11 > include Lua as an embedded scripting language; of which I'll discuss a
12 > few below.
15 Please don't copy the PYTHON_* insanity here. The only reason for
16 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, as I keep repeating, is that we *needed* a sane
17 default of py2+py3 for a lot of packages, without causing REQUIRED_USE
18 violations all over the place.
19
20 I don't think Lua situation is similar. That is, I don't think you can
21 pinpoint a combination of 2 or more default 'targets' and a single
22 'target' that would work for the majority of packages. Just use
23 a single USE_EXPAND combined with REQUIRED_USE and sane defaults.
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny