From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Building hardened gcc specs always, just not enabling them by default
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:01:40
1 Looks like the thread I started about moving more hardened features to
2 default
3 <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_ef3dbd4ba400a5936cd5b7546b86d875.xml>
4 got a lot of positive feedback. Kernel hardening features are more
5 problematic, but hardening the toolchain seems to be within reach.
6
7 I'd like to produce some implementation plan for that, and my suggestion
8 is to change the meaning of the "hardened" USE flag for GCC. I'd like to
9 build all 4 or so specs for gcc always, and the "hardened" USE flag
10 would just control which one is the default: the vanilla one or
11 full-hardening one.
12
13 This would allow people to manually start using hardened toolchain
14 without even switching profile, and should be a no-op for everyone else.
15 From there we can later proceed to apply more features.
16
17 Thoughts?