From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-headers and glib-kernel-headers?
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:27:10
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > the linux-headers installed the headers from a specific kernel version.
6 > There seem to be a glibc-kernel-headers package out there. Search the
7 > LKML for a mail with the subject "glibc-kernel-headers".
8 >
9 > I'm still very confused about the linux-headers ebuild. Linux Torvald
10 > claims that a running system should not update the headers. OK, he only
11 > recomms not to do that, but the portage offers be an update if i do
12 > "emerge -upD world". I guess updating the headers could break some
13 > things - although i cannot imagine which.
14
15 Linus is correct in some aspects -- you shouldn't go blindly updating
16 headers unless you're willing to risk breakage.
17
18 Alot of distributions create headers by symlinking
19 /usr/include/{linux,asm} to /usr/src/linux/include/{linux,asm}. Gentoo
20 is one of the distributions that actually installs a separate set of
21 headers in /usr/include, leaving you free to do whatever with
22 /usr/src/linux (although it helps to keep this as a symlink to the
23 source of your running kernel, some programs look for it).
24
25 If you do upgrade your headers, all you really need to do is rebuild
26 glibc and all should be well. building glibc against newer headers
27 sometimes allows glibc to access new features of the kernel. The
28 SELinux team recently needed to use 2.4.21 headers to access newer
29 glibc/kernel features for SELinux because of this. Rebuilding the
30 entire machine also doesn't hurt, but it can be overkill.
31
32 The glibc-kernel-headers you speak of are "sanitized" headers mainly
33 intended for redhat distributions and are prepared by Arjan van de Ven
34 of Redhat. It was discussed several months ago on whether gentoo should
35 use sanitized headers too, but our problem is we support multiple
36 architectures, and I do believe the sanitized headers are for i386 only.
37 sparc, mips, ppc, etc.. would all need certain things tweaked in their
38 own headers as well for things to work properly.
39
40 I think there is some thought on LKML to resolve this finally in 2.6, by
41 creating a split in the kernel headers, separating out a sanitized set
42 of user-space headers and headers intended exclusively for the kernel.
43 No idea when this idea might be implemented in 2.6....it might become a
44 2.7 feature.
47 --Kumba
50 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
51 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
52 elsewhere." --Elrond
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list