From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, vim@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 21:00:30
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:27:39 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
5 > inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax" USE
6 > flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
7 >
8 > Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
9 > unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
10 > vim-syntax USE flag.
11
12 I'd say use flag is not needed as long as it does not slow vim startup
13 down by much and does not change editor behaviour for every single
14 edited file type.
15
16 Does vim@ (CCed) have an opinion?
17
18 > If we want to keep the USE flag, I would suggest documenting a global
19 > policy regarding its use. Should that live in the devmanual? Or maybe
20 > the Vim project page?
21
22 Any of two sounds OK. Which one would be easier to discover?
23 My guess is "both".
27 Sergei