From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 06:15:24
1 > So, if maintainer has enough manpower to support this flag, we
2 > should allow to keep it.
3
4 No.
5
6 [Unless maintainer also joins toolchain team and tests everything with every
7 release candidate of the compiler.]
8
9 You have no idea how much unneccessary pain -Werror caused when gcc started
10 warning on "misleading indentation".
11
12 Also, I do not see the connection between security and -Werror. No new
13 warnings are created and a simple grep finds things.
14
15 Finally, any maintainer can add this to his CFLAGS him/herself if s/he wishes
16 so.
20 Andreas K. Hüttel
21 dilfridge@g.o
22 Gentoo Linux developer
23 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)