From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd']
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:21:18
1 On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:34:47 +0000 (UTC)
2 Stephen wrote:
3
4 > Hmm...I'm not sure I like the idea of introducing a non-standard
5 > feature into the most commonly used shell. Tab completion already
6 > makes me lazy enough, and at least it works on any other bash shell on
7 > every *NIX I've ever used. Anyone else feel the same way?
10 It's not that my fingers are falling off because of the additional 3
11 keystrokes. Now, I do 85 wpm approximately, but I don't think that
12 two-finger-eagles (or one-finger-eagles) would feel much assisted
13 either. This kind of behaviour would rather confuse me - I for one like
14 being told if I screw up instead of finding myself into a directory I
15 didn't want to go to. If I want to change directory, than I want to (be
16 required to) type cd. Also, there's a chance to screw up scripts with
17 it, and scripts being the soul of any GNU/Linux machine... If this
18 becomes a standard feature of bash, I (and everybody else) will have to
19 learn to live with it, otherwise:
20
21 if this is a vote, mine is a (resounding) nay.
22
23 Cheers
26 Horror Vacui
27