From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] When the version scheme changes
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:55:30
1 Hi Marijn,
2
3 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
4 > PV=${PV/0./}
5
6 MY_PV=...
7
8 As others have said, PV is read only.
9
10 > to that new ebuild. This is the cleanest way to do it and doesn't require any
11 > variable name changes or any other changes to the ebuild regardless of what it
12 > does. Unfortunately it is also illegal per current PMS as PV is a read-only
13 > variable. Right now I feel that the gain of having PV read-only (catch a few
14 > bugs?) is much lower than the pain (extensive ebuild-dependend changes when the
15 > version scheme changes). Please comment.
16
17 It's a pain, but then again, your old ebuilds are likely to go away as
18 time passes, and the various hacks you've put in them will be long
19 forgotten :)
20
21 There are only a couple cases were having PV writeable is a good idea.
22 But let's keep this part of our ebuilds simple.
23
24 Right now, the section in devmanual that talks about PV is really short.
25 Keeping it that way seems a good idea for potential new comers and old
26 timers (that may forget stuff as time goes on) alike.
27
28 My 2 euro ¢
29
30 Cheers