From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:06:32
1 On Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:40, Chris Johnson got a bunch of monkeys together
2 and come up with:
3
4 > What I don't like about this, and catching Aaron Cohen's tone perhaps in
5 > his follow-up email ("Great, we will be a Debian Want a be!"), is the
6 > complexity of a set of cvs branches, stability levels, etc.
7 >
8 > It's what has made a mess of debian from the perspective of having
9 > mature packages float to the top and become available in a timely
10 > manner. See, if I run debian, I have to make all sorts of decisions
11 > about what stability level, which tree, which mirrors, etc. I want to
12 > connect to. With the quality of ebuilds and the ease of the gentoo
13 > system, we can have much lower complexity and higher quality.
14 >
15 > I vote strongly against any cvs branches of the portage tree--that's why
16 > we currently have the -rx designations, anyway! Leverage that and the
17 > organic nature of the community (i.e., see my proposal at
18 >
19 http://relentless.org:8000/gentoo/forum/message?message_id=6584&forum_id=6581
20 > ) to get a simple, effective system.
21 >
22 > Please, avoid the duplication of effort that all the branches of debian
23 > represent!
24 >
25 > Chris
26
27 Fair enough... I realise that the -rx designations are there, however I
28 have had -rx .ebuilds fail on numerous occassions because there was simply
29 not enough testing before the ebuild was submitted to CVS.
30
31 This is fine if you already have a package installed ... simply file a bug,
32 or slap the ebuild maintainer on IRC and in a few hours (a day or two at
33 most) the ebuild is fixed and away you go.
34
35 The problem comes when a new user is trying to build their system and they
36 get all these errors. We don't want to discourage newcomers by having a
37 tree of ebuilds that is not 100% stable for their first installation.
38
39 That was my main reason for suggesting seperate CVS branch(es).
40
41 I agree that Gentoo is not targeted at the "I've never seen linux before
42 and thought I'd give it a go" type of user (that's what RH & MDK do), but I
43 don't think we should make new users jump through too many hoops simply
44 because an ebuild maintainer has hastily submitted an ebuild --
45 particularly for core packages (baselayout is one that comes to mind).
48 Perhaps a comprimise ....
49
50 A stable/install CVS branch that is only used during the initial
51 bootstrap/build process and afterwards portage defaults to using the
52 regular CVS tree?
53
54 Still it is a refreshing way to get my linux "fix"!
57 Troy Dack
58 http://linuxserver.tkdack.com
59
60 The onset and the waning of love make themselves felt in the uneasiness
61 experienced at being alone together.
62 -- Jean de la Bruyere