From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new portage categories
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:11:52
1 On 2/4/08, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Sounds like what you really want are tags, not categories ...
4
5 Yes and no. tags would definitely be better than subcategories. But
6 for some packages a new category would probably still make sense like
7 app-scm ( http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@l.g.o/msg27404.html).
8
9 > You could play with adding them into metadata.xml and patching some
10 > existing search tools to search for them.
11
12 Added to my TODO list. Extending existing search tool would only be a
13 first step however. The ability to exclude/include packages from the
14 tree would also be a useful feature (and that doesn't seam to fit the
15 design of the tools I have used).
16
17 > I'm all for the idea of tags,
18 > and I think it's a better approach than categories.
19
20 Thinking about it again I would say tags and categories just fulfill
21 different purposes. Tags can not replace categories but might be a
22 useful extension to categories for the tasks I described, not more not
23 less. They are not better or worse, just different:)
24
25 -- Jonas
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list