From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 17:48:34
1 On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 18:26:25 +0100
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El dom, 08-12-2013 a las 18:19 +0100, Andreas K. Huettel escribió:
5 > > Am Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2013, 17:56:12 schrieb Tom Wijsman:
6 > >
7 > > > When our defaults force us down such path, that can't be good and
8 > > > it affects the quality of our Portage tree; so, this makes me
9 > > > wonder, can we change the default from :* to :0? What do you
10 > > > think?
11 > >
12 > > How about changing this in the next EAPI instead?
13 > >
14 > > E.g., in EAPI=6, if no slot dependency is given in a dependency
15 > > specification, default to :0
16 >
17 > Other option I have sometimes consider is to force people to specify
18 > the slot dependency on a newer eapi -> if a package is working for
19 > any slot, specify :*, if not, specify the slot that it needs. That
20 > way, this kind of problems would be much less frequent than currently
21
22 Given that the retroactive change I suggest causes a lot of complexity;
23 changing it on the next EAPI indeed sounds like one way to go, the
24 alternative is to make it a suggestive guideline or policy and cover
25 it as a QA check in repoman.
26
27 That QA check could throw a warning when a dependency has no slot.
30 PS: Sorry for sending the thread mail twice, IMAP timed out; since
31 this is the second time that this happened, I'll pay more attention.
34 With kind regards,
35
36 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
37 Gentoo Developer
38
39 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
40 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
41 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D