From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printer drivers and net-print
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:16:57
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 08:55:05 -0600 Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 [...]
5 > > OK, let's say "should", or ever better explain details, e.g.:
6 > >
7 > > All newly created categories should follow "group-qualificator"
8 > > pattern, a name without hyphen is allowed for a "virtual" category
9 > > and for compatibility reasons in overlays.
12 > If PMS is going to specify that, there ought to be better reasoning then
13 > "that's how it's always been done." What concrete benefit is there to
14 > _requiring_ hyphenated categories?
15
16 Let's not mix different issues together: problems are much easier
17 to solve with "divide and conqueror" approach than with "pile up
18 and suffocate". PMS already have a statement about hyphen and all I
19 want is to make it clearer.
20
21 Why we have this requirement is another story. I'm not a PMS author
22 thus I can't give you an authoritative answer here. The standard
23 job is not to describe *why*, but to describe *how*.
24
25 As for why, IMO it makes it easier to navigate through the list of
26 categories. At least it was that way for me when I started to use
27 Gentoo.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Andrew Savchenko