From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New QA Policy Guide
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 19:44:20
1 On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Having a discussion at a bar, and you making a commit as a result is
4 > one thing, but if I discovered a bug, and then only told you about it
5 > at the bar, that would be possibly bad, because there's no guarantee
6 > that the bug is communicated sufficient to ensure it gets addressed,
7 > and you may go home at the end of the night and entirely forget the bug
8 > existed, and people could continue to suffer it, and potentially
9 > neglect to report it as well. ( End users are substantially less likely
10 > to file bugs, IME )
11 >
12 > When I mention bugs to people on IRC, I often follow up with "Would you
13 > like me to file a bug?".
14 >
15 > Often, the answer is "yes".
16 >
17 > The crux of the matter being bugs that exist, and are communicated
18 > outside the core bug tracker, weaken the assurance that it will be seen
19 > and fixed, which amounts to a negative thing.
20
21 Oh, I absolutely agree with this.
22
23 My point is that right now we have no policy that requires bugs to be
24 filed. And hence stuff that happens on github really is no different
25 than your case of stuff happening in a bar.
26
27 I can't speak for the QA repo, but don't we have a bot that notices
28 open pull requests for the main repo mirror on github which are
29 missing bug references to post notices to this effect? When this
30 started happening I think a lot of the concerns were reduced.
31
32 I mean, like was already mentioned, if there were a gitlab repo or
33 whatever being hosted a lot of this might become moot. We're just not
34 there yet.
35
36 I'm not sure if the Foundation has considered approaching gitlab.com
37 about hosting. Granted, that isn't their FOSS product, but I suspect
38 the repos could be exported and imported into the FOSS product as a
39 contingency. I have it on good authority from somebody who works
40 there that their proprietary hosted product is identical to the FOSS
41 one aside from the proprietary modules, so as long as you avoid the
42 latter it should be the same thing. If they're willing to donate or
43 offer cheaper hosting it might give us the benefits of the FOSS
44 repository while avoiding the hassles of hosting Ruby or whatever it
45 is written in.
48 Rich