From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 03:27:17
1 On 01/24/2013 10:12 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Otherwise we're just finding creative ways to drive away users. Sure,
4 > we can call them stupid on their way out the door, but while I can't
5 > speak for anybody else, I'm mainly here because I'd like to do some
6 > good, and I wouldn't mind it if I found Gentoo useful along the way.
7 >
8 > I think what we need is a combination of:
9 > 1. Only truly critical issues trigger fatal errors. This can't be
10 > used for default config checks.
11 > 2. The fatal errors are overridable.
12 > 3. If overriden the errors are still output.
13 > 4. The error output includes instructions on how to override, and the
14 > instructions are package-specific (ie don't stick i_know_what_im_doing
15 > in make.conf).
16 > 5. The change introducing the issue is preceded with a news item.
19 I completely agree with this, so I won't drag the issue out any further.