From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:23:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:00:22 +0100 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I'm probably missing something here. Please elaborate on how this GLEP
5 > | meets the "Preemptive" design goal...
6 >
7 > Simple. emerge --sync displays the "you have 12 unread news items"
8 > message after it's done. The only changes which can't be preempted here
9 > are the kind which completely break rsync...
10
11 That won't save those following the example I gave:
12
13 Thierry Carrez wrote:
14 > - emerge --sync run as a daily cron job
15 > - emerge -a mysql
16 > - great, a new version is there. Typing "Yes"
17 > - system gets borken
18 > - emerge spits out message saying 14 files need updating and there is 1
19 > unread news item
20
21 For them to know about it, they need to be warned when they do their
22 "emerge -p world" or "emerge -a mysql" that the upgrade is not as easy
23 as it seems. People using a cron job to sync are probably a significant
24 part of our user base...
27 Koon
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list