From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Local git commit hooks
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 17:11:45
Does anyone have existing collections of git hooks they use locally on portage
to prevent themselves making dumb mistakes?

For example, one I just discovered I made back in December was I accidentally
keyworded a package for arches I don't have while doing an edit, and I'd imagine
the cause was bleed through from when I'd simulated the keyword changes in order
to get repoman to locally san-test a keyword request.

( Sadly ironic, the act of locally san-testing keywords created a problem
 that itself defied the collective san-test )

Obviously "New ebuild with these keywords is fine as long as there was one already
like that" but "Adding new ebuilds with keywords other ebuilds don't have" should be
a significant ACHTUNG!! event, as should be making commits that add keywords to
existing ebuilds for arches I don't have.... however, that last one is tricky and
needs an escape hatch, because sometimes its entirely justifiable to do that if
you're just doing "keyword restoration/spreading". I just need to know I'm doing
that when I do that :p

I kindof have an idea of how I'd write that, but I'd rather not reinvent the
wheel if I don't have to.

And there might be other kinds of straight-forward fast checks that I can do
like this to avoid making dumb obvious mistakes.