From: "Bruce A. Locke" <blocke@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Installation Gotchas
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:09:51
1 Hello...
2
3 I did my first non-vmware (aka on real hardware) install of Gentoo and was
4 wondering about the following:
5
6 - If DMA is going to be on by default in the kernel would it be possible to
7 include hdparm on the cd image so people with harddrives, etc that have
8 issues with DMA can turn it off after the cd boots? I had to create a 10mb
9 partition and untar the hdparm package because the HD would freak out with
10 DMA turned on under lightload. (Yes I know, old cheap harddrive)
11
12 - Where are the kernel messages displayed once the cd has booted? I checked
13 all the vt's and failed to see any of the DMA related kernel messages,
14 etc... would it be possible to redirect these messages to a VC to people
15 could use it for troubleshooting?
16
17 - On the cd image there are symlinks for zcat, gunzip, etc but no symlinks
18 for bzcat, bzunip2, etc
19
20 - Wget doesn't seem to be in the sys tarball... not a big problem but I was
21 just wondering if it was an oversight
22
23 - The dhcp package is missing the needed directory /var/state/dhcp... the
24 directory should be created empty so dhclient can place the dhcp lease info,
25 etc in it
26
27 - The default dhcp package configuation points to various config files as
28 being under /etc, not /etc/dhcp
29
30 - The default kernel lacks either CONFIG_PACKET or CONFIG_FILTER which is
31 needed for dhclient. I compiled a kernel myself and it works now but is
32 there any reason why one of those options is not compiled into the default
33 kernel?
34
35 - If you do a "make install" in the kernel source tree thats part of the
36 kernel source package, the makefile tries to play with /etc/lilo.conf (which
37 doesn't exist) and places the kernel image in the / (root) directory instead
38 of under /boot. Also I don't see a System.map anywhere. Is it still needed
39 for lsof on Linux w/ 2.4.x?
40
41 - I had to do some voodoo to get the most recent version of portage to work.
42 I did a ebuild merge on the most recent version, unmerged it, untar'd the
43 old version back, then remerged the most recent version and it started
44 working while after the original merge it was busted... go figure....
45
46 I have the box up and running with DHCP... I'm going to make a custom
47 version of the eth network template for DHCP and will probably submit it to
48 the list for the mailing list archive, etc.
49
50 Thanks for all your help so far...
51
53 Bruce A. Locke