From: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] State of elogind integration and the default +elogind local USE flag on xorg-server.
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:47:33
1 Short anwer: Right now, xorg-server[+elogind] is at odds with desktop profile
2 that still has +consolekit by default.
3
4 For good reasons (long answer):
5
6 elogind integration tracker not yet done: https://bugs.gentoo.org/599470
7 bluez hard-requiring systemd with user-session: https://bugs.gentoo.org/639434
8 Besides the above, have we really identified all packages that need fixing? I
9 certainly haven't made an attempt.
10
11 Here's how these flags relate, and how they should be set globally:
12 ?? ( consolekit elogind systemd )
13
14 We know from previous fallout (skypeforlinux) that merely having elogind
15 installed besides a system built with +consolekit globally will result in
16 runtime issues.
17
18 Therefore, not one single package, unless it hard-depends on exactly-one-of (
19 elogind systemd ) should enable elogind by default at this time. Doing so now
20 only makes people switch it off globally either before or after they are facing
21 runtime issues.
22
23 Let's fix the remaining bugs, create a proper news item in advance, and then
24 switch over desktop profiles to elogind as the new default.
25
26 Regards,
27 Andreas