From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dependences
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:15:49
1 maillog: 17/07/2004-16:09:08(+0000): omestre types
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 > My name is Leal, i'm working in my graduation monograph,
5 > and the subject is "GNU/Linux Distribution's application
6 > management software". Initially, I'm testing two distros...
7 > Debian and Gentoo. After that, i will try out fedora. I know
8 > Debian, but with gentoo i have found some "problems", and i'm
9 > asking you help, to make my work as right as possible. One of
10 > my principal tasks is determine how much dependences a package
11 > have. With "qpkg" i have got that informations for my installed
12 > gentoo system, but the "SYSTEM PROFILE" confuses me. Some packages
13 > have as dependence the word "SYSTEM PROFILE" that is not a package,
14 > but too many of them... So i have created a "fake" package "SYSTEM-PROFILE
15 > " to my tasks... The question is: There is a manner to extract the
16 > informations that i want, whithout this SYSTEM PROFILE?
17 > Well, in my opinion this procedure used by gentoo is "confuse" because
18 > creates global dependence. In production environments, the information
19 > about packages dependences (exactly) is essential. If one software
20 > dependes on libc6, i want to know that, and don't want know that it
21 > depends on SYSTEM PROFILE. In my home page have "graphs" and text files,
22 > take a look and tell me if gentoo give a tool to get the informations
23 > that i want: Especifics depends.
24
25 I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish, and am pretty sure that those
26 numbers that you're gathering would make little sense in a cross-distribution
27 paper. Several other things that bother me: what do you do when useflags change
28 the number of dependcies? Or what do you do, if a dependency is not listed in
29 one distro, because it depends on something else that requires the other one
30 anyway. Something like having a dependency on gtk, but not on x11, because gtk
31 depends on x11 anyway. Take a look at what is listed in the ebuild for gedit,
32 and what it says on http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/gedit for
33 example.
34
35 Now to your question. Are you interested in run-time dependencies, or
36 compile-time dependencies? If you're comparing to a binary distribution, I'd
37 say you are looking for run-time deps, a.k.a RDEPEND, and here is how to find
38 both of them.
39
40 emerge --pretend --emptytree
41
42 This command will show you what packages are needed to get a given package
43 running on a fresh system. This is the best way to find all the dependencies
44 for a given package. However, since you probably want to differentiate between
45 DEPEND and RDEPEND, I suggest the following approach:
46
47 mkdir /mnt/dummy
48 export ROOT=/mnt/dummy
49 emerge --pretend --emptytree gedit
50
51 Running the same command as above, but with a different root, will tell you
52 what packages need be installed on your current system (if it were fresh) in
53 order to compile the package, and what packages need to be installed in the
54 $ROOT system (if it were fresh, and it really is fresh) in order to run the
55 package there. Those that are to be installed in /mnt/dummy are the run-time
56 dependencies. The rest are the compile-time dependencies. Version numbers
57 however, would be irrelevant, since they heavily depend on what is currently in
58 your portage tree and your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
61 \ Georgi Georgiev \ I cannot draw a cart, nor eat dried oats; \
62 / chutz@×××.net / If it be man's work I will do it. /
63 \ +81(90)6266-1163 \ \
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list