From: Evan Powers <powers.161@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 09:17:43
1 On Thursday 05 June 2003 03:21 am, Michael Kohl wrote:
2 > Joseph Hardin <jhlazer@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > Why do this at a filesystem level? I may be missing the point, but why
4 > > not just incorporate this into a seperate tool and keep a file to
5 > > store all the comments and data.
6 >
7 > Because:
8 ...
9
10 If you haven't already, you should read Hans Reiser's Future Visions document,
11 here:
12
13 http://www.namesys.com/whitepaper.html
14
15 The summary is, in brief, that ReiserFS 6 (current version is 4) is going to
16 really kick ass. From what I understand it has a superset of BeFS's
17 functionality.
18
19 You'll be able to do things like (syntax isn't actually decided yet):
20
21 bash$ ls '[subject/[illegal strike] to/elves from/santa ultimatum]'
22
23 Which would list any files you have which have a subject attribute containing
24 sub-attributes illegal and strike, the attribute ultimatum, etc. (Your email
25 program and the filesystem would each automatically generate pieces of these
26 attribute trees.) Technically they aren't "attributes", but instead part of
27 the filename itself--it's just that filenames would now have two operators,
28 '/' (ordering) and '[ ... ]' (grouping), instead of only one, '/'.
29
30 Regardless, while I very much like your idea on principle, I do think it's an
31 idea whose time has not yet come. That doesn't mean we can't think about how
32 to do it when it's time does come, however. ;-)
33
34 Evan
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list