From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:41:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tuesday 06 January 2004 08:36, Allen Parker wrote:
5 >
6 > Avenj, as I recently was interested in submitting ebuilds myself.
7 > Could we possibly come up with a quick and easy system for devs to pop
8 > in, check a list of submitted ebuilds, grab ones that look interesting
9 > to them, test to see if they build/self-destruct, mark them as ~ARCH
10 > (for ARCH they can test on), either clear the initial listing and slap
11 > them into the tree or kick it back to the user?
12
13 With many ebuilds the actual maintenance and bugfixing is more work than
14 just committing an ebuild to the tree. Basically what most devs do is
15 maintain or co-maintain a number of ebuilds and handle their bugs. If
16 you would be the defacto maintainer of a number of ebuilds you would
17 basically be doing the same as a real dev, but with the limitation that
18 there's allways someone between you and the tree. (and less bugzilla
19 power)
20
21 > Personally, I found it to be a pain in the rear to see 1 1/2 yr old
22 > ebuilds relating to the packages I was developing ebuilds for in
23 > bugzilla, yet with information so stale as to be stinking the place
24 > up. I think that there are a lot of things that could be offered to
25 > Gentoo users without too much hassle by other Gentoo users as long as
26 > dev says "ok, that sounds fun." I mean, I got passed back and forth
27 > from hardened to general and back a few times and it was all because
28 > the devs reviewing my bug(s) didn't understand the packages.
29
30 I'm sorry for that. It however can be a sign that the tree is not ready
31 for those ebuilds, or that they are in very low demand.
32
33 > I may not know C/C++ very well (minimal understanding at most), so I
34 > wouldn't be able to "fix" something that was broken via diff, but I
35 > sure as heck have the computing power to do 100s of compiles :-D and
36 > thoroughly test certain things before I put them live on my OWN
37 > production machines. Basically, I'm not a programmer, but I can
38 > *still* write a darned good ebuild with the proper help (thx
39 > Spyderous, obz and others in #gentoo-dev). Simply because I can't
40 > program, I can't be a dev... does that mean I can't do thorough
41 > package mangling/testing? Not really... In fact, I've been told, that
42 > with most things, if anyone can break it, I can :-D
43
44 Writing ebuilds is programming. In ebuilds you just use a different
45 language (bash shell script language), but beyond being able to write
46 ebuilds there is no need for an ebuild handling dev to be able to
47 program. A willingness to learn is always an advantage though. In any
48 case programming is absolutely not the same as knowing C or C++.
49
50 > Basically, I just find that the entire ebuild submission process could
51 > definitely be streamlined as to take less dev time and be more
52 > rewarding for the users actually doing the submissions. Including
53 > having user response saying, "hey, so and so just bumped package-x.y.y
54 > to package-x.y.z and it builds fine with a renamed and digested
55 > ebuild."
56
57 I would agree with that. However I don't know how to do it in a good way
58 that preserves quality.
59
60 Paul
61