From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:45:41
1 On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:12:06 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Has anyone ever set up Gitlab or Gerrit, managed by a package manager,
5 > in a way that a small bug won't grant anonymous write access to every
6 > single repository?
7 >
8 > Web projects tend to assume that they're the only application/user on
9 > the server. And as far as security is concerned, that the server is
10 > in a locked closet with no internet connection. Most of them crash
11 > when you try to fix those assumptions.
12
13 We use GitLab at work and I do like it but I don't know how it fares
14 for much larger projects. I know less about Gerrit but it is used by
15 high profile projects like CyanogenMod. We've also had it recommended
16 numerous times in #gentoo-java by zxiiro, who works for the Linux
17 Foundation and used to work for the Eclipse Foundation. I think it's
18 worth a try but no, I'm not volunteering. ;) Having said that, it is
19 written in Java and if we insist on installing these things through
20 Portage (I suppose we should eat our own dog food) then I would be
21 willing to make a push on getting it into the tree. It might be tricky
22 though, not least because it uses the Buck build system, which I've
23 never seen used anywhere else and isn't currently in the tree either.
26 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
27 Gentoo Linux Developer