From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:53:22
1 On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:05 -0500, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 20:36 -0500, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
7 > >
8 > >>So you installed your server without reading *any* documenation? (Don't
9 > >>lie). And you expect that the average user installs a Gentoo server
10 > >>without at least referencing the documentation? Pa-leaze.
13 > > less /mnt/cdrom/docs/handbook/txt/install.txt
14 > >
15 > > No web browser, so can you please quit beating this dead horse. It
16 > > isn't even funny anymore.
19 > That's a great and wonderful alternative, but the policy is to publish
20 > documentation in GuideXML:
21
22 No it isn't...
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml#doc_chap3
26
27 Yeah, see, this is a case where not understanding the structure of
28 Gentoo gives you the wrong impression. The GDP's policy applies to the
29 GDP. That is not a global developer policy of any kind. It is a policy
30 by a project, for that project.
31
32 If I were, for example, to write up a nice guide for something on the
33 games team and do it all in ASCII art, that policy has no bearing on
34 what I do. If I were to write something for the GDP, then it would.
35
36 At any rate, that has *zero* bearing on whether or not our update
37 information needs to be written in GuideXML, so there's no point in
38 arguing it with you.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 x86 Architecture Team