From: "Thomas D." <whissi@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:17:21
1 Hi,
2
3 Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
4 > That said, what we could do (if this isn't done already) is have
5 > portage automatically elog or ewarn what files are excluded from
6 > the system on merge time due to the INSTALL_MASK. At least that
7 > way, users would be able to see in the log what files were removed,
8 > so when something they need -is- removed they'll be able to see
9 > that right away. (note, i've never used INSTALL_MASK, so I've no
10 > idea what portage reports)
11
12 That's already happening.
13
14 For example an INSTALL_MASK
15
16 INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd/"
17 INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK} /lib/systemd/"
18 INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK} /lib64/systemd/"
19 INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK} /usr/lib/systemd/"
20 INSTALL_MASK="${INSTALL_MASK} /usr/lib64/systemd/"
21
22 is given. When you emerge a package you will see messages like
23
24 [...]
25
26 >>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-fs/udev-210
27 * Removing /etc/systemd/
28 * Removing /lib/systemd/
29 * Removing /lib64/systemd/
30 * Removing /usr/lib/systemd/
31 * Removing /usr/lib64/systemd/
32 * checking 51 files for package collisions
33 >>> Merging sys-fs/udev-210 to /
34
35 [...]
36
37 If you keep logs, elogv for example will also show this information:
38
39 │ [...] │
40 │ │
41 │INFO: other │
42 │Removing /etc/systemd/ │
43 │Removing /lib/systemd/ │
44 │Removing /lib64/systemd/ │
45 │Removing /usr/lib/systemd/ │
46 │Removing /usr/lib64/systemd/ │
47
48 The downside is that this message will always appear when you have set
49 an INSTALL_MASK. Even for packages which don't install anything into
50 the masked paths. So people maybe tend to ignore this information
51 because it is always shown :)
52
53 If this message would only be shown if the merged package is *really*
54 affected by the INSTALL_MASK, this would be an improvement.
57 -Thomas