From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:53:21
1 On 03/28/12 10:42, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 03/28/12 10:24, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> Just use categories from repos?
5 >>>
6 >>> /usr/portage/distfiles/sys-devel/gcc-1.2.tar.bz2
7 >>> /usr/portage/distfiles/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.tar.bz2
8 >>> /usr/portage/distfiles/sys-libs/zlib-3.4.tar.bz2
9 >>> /usr/portage/distfiles/zomg-soft/zomgawesomesoft-5.3.1.tar.xz
10 >>> (from zomg repo with custom zomg-soft category ;)
11 >>>
12 >>> Btw. what would happen if, ie. mc package - well, two different
13 >>> packages, one from app-misc, one from sci-libs - but lets say they have
14 >>> a brand new release 5.0 and there's mc-5.0.tar.bz2 for both of them?
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> Yeah, as admittedly rare as that might be, thats why I didn't suggest
18 >> grouping by category =)
19 >
20 > This could cause problems for people using crossdev, because it relies
21 > on overlays to work. If crossdev were to use symlinks, using
22 > `eclean-dist -df` to remove things that are not needed by the main tree
23 > could delete the targets of the symlinks. Hard links would work around
24 > this, but then the distfiles for everything would need to be in the same
25 > file system and that file system would need to support hard links.
26 >
27 > The general sentiment that I have seen from Gentoo developers on IRC is
28 > that overlays are bad and that they are meant for things that will
29 > eventually be merged into the main tree. With that in mind, I am not
30 > convinced that this is a problem worth fixing. The overlay owner is
31 > supposed to prepare his things for inclusion into the main tree, so he
32 > should handle it.
35 On second thought, I guess this would be okay if you let the overlay
36 specify its own DISTFILES location within its directory tree to override
37 the main tree's location. That way crossdev won't be affected.