From: Fred Van Andel <fred@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zombie processes
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:00:27
1 Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU> wrote:
2 (01/09/2003 15:47)
5 >Hi,
6 >
7 >I wonder how one can make a zombie process go away. I have a zombie from
8 >mozilla and several zombies from some C++ codes that ran for some time. I
9 >killed all mozilla processes, but there is still a "mozilla-bin <defunct>"
10 >in my processes list.
11 >
12 >Any ideas why this is and how this can be dealt with? Is this an
13 >application bug? Does this have to do with the kernel?
16 Try "ps ax --forest" or "pstree -p" and then kill the parent process, unless
17 the parent is init (dont kill that one).
18
19 The zombie process should be automatically be removed.
20
21 Fred Van Andel
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list