From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 16:47:19
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/24/2018 12:24 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > >
5 > > For example, dhcpcd integrates with udevd via libudev to ensure that
6 > > udev has finished renaming your network interfaces before dhcpcd
7 > > attempts to configure them. I believe lvm2 uses libudev to prevent
8 > > various races in block device setup and metadata gathering.
9 >
10 > Both of those have IUSE="+udev", which is fine for any package where the
11 > maintainer knows that udev support is critical. You yourself aren't even
12 > sure what it does for lvm2, though -- how are you going to convince me I
13 > need it?
16 > > Developers don't add udev support just for the hell of it
17 >
18 > hahahahahahaha your premise is that the people writing software aren't
19 > all idiots, and I deny it.
22 So upstream developers are all idiots, and Gentoo maintainers always
23 know best? If that's your attitude, I won't bother arguing with your
24 further.