From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>, Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation. Plotting a VHOST config tool.
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 04:37:45
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:44:44AM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 August 2003 3:16 am, Robin H.Johnson wrote: > > Where do you see -vhosts fiting into having multiple instances of a > > webapp on a single host ? > > Personally, I don't. If you want multiple instances of a webapp on a single > host, the webapps need to be installed with +vhosts. > > -vhosts would be strictly single copy single domain scenario.
Ok, so if -vhosts, we install to /usr/share/webapp/(whatever) and automatically run the webapp-config tool ? if +vhosts, we install to /usr/share/webapp/(whatever) and the administrator is left to run the rest himself.
> > > Btw, talked to Woodchip on IRC tonight, and he seemed happy enough > > > with us moving the default -vhosts DocRoot from /home/httpd. So I'm > > > gonna strongly advocate that the default -vhosts DocRoot moves to > > > /var/www/localhost/public_html in the near future. > > Sounds good.
As part of the planning, and a good first step I'm plotting out a config tool for adding vhosts. All comments welcome as this is intended to be a good outline of what the tool must do etc before I write it (borrowing heavily from my exist custom scripts for the purpose). Stuart: once before you asked why I didn't use dynamic vhosts. Two reasons behind it. Firstly, I want seperate log files for each vhost, and secondly I have a lot of apache configuration directives that vary per server (funky mod_rewrite stuff mainly to make variable handling in php interesting). Based on this, I strongly believe that 'simple' vhosts are the best way to go in general. Looking at the current /home/httpd: We have: htdocs cgi-bin error icon All of these can go into the the /var/www/localhost/ quite easily. /var/www/<vhost>/{error,icon} symlink back to the default host usually (anybody wanting to use them changes them as needed). I feel the name 'htdocs' belies the meaning of the directory more accurately, but I'm looking for input on that item. In my personal setup, I have: /etc/apache2/conf/vhosts/${FQDN#*.}/${FQDN} /var/www/${FQDN#*.}/${FQDN}/{htdocs,cgi-bin} /var/log/apache2/${FQDN#*.}/${FQDN}/ Then I do: "include /etc/apache2/conf/vhosts/" in my main apache config :-). But I don't think we really need a hashed setup do we? make it a config option because I don't know who will want it. Rough outline of tool: vhost-config must do three things: - creates directories (copies a skeleton directory for the most part). - create apache vhost config files. - HUP apache so it reads in the new config without stopping. Proposed rough usage: vhost-config [opts] fully.qualified-domain.name opts: -s server which server to use this with, defaults to apache, mostly a moot point until more virtual/httpd exists. -u owner user owner of all files, defaults root for security. -g group group owner of all files, defaults to root for security. -p perms initial permissions, defaults to 644 (OR'd with 111 for directories). -G shortcut for having group writable permissions (effective does OR 020). -i symlink /var/www/localhost/icons to provide icons. (default) -I [dir] copies /var/www/localhost/icons to a new directory. Optionally provides a different directory to take them from. -e symlink /var/www/localhost/error to provide error pages. (default) -E [dir] copies /var/www/localhost/error to a new directory. Optionally provides a different directory to take them from. -k directory specify a different skeleton directory (defaults to /etc/vhost-skel/) -H HUP apache on completion if everything is good to go. -h don't HUP apache at all. -f file path to alternative config file (default is /etc/vhost-config.conf). /etc/vhost-skel/ might contain: htdocs/ = maybe a simple index.html ? cgi-bin/ = empty icons/ = symlink to /var/www/localhost/icons error/ = symlink to /var/www/localhost/error conf/ = [treated specially] ${server}.conf that is used for creating the initial config, templates of some sort (I'm leaning to M4 as all my existing stuff is in it, and it's good for templating like this). After vhost-config has generated all of the nessicary stuff, it should HUP the apache server if everything is in order. There is one check that is outside the scope of the tool, namely the existance of DNS for the specified hostname. If the admin creates a vhost that does not yet have DNS or name resolution relative to the system, we should display a warning. I'd repeat again for good measure, this email is strongly based off the present capabilites of my private vhost setup scripts, plus the features I as a developer, sysadmin and user want in a new revision. However I strongly feel that more input is needed as well. -- Robin Hugh Johnson E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85