From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: SSL-Certificates and CAcert
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:44:04
1 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> posted
2 20070928001048.GD1606@××××××××××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on
3 Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:10:48 -0700:
4
5 > If there aren't too many AND we can get a dedicated IP for each of those
6 > services, I'd like to suggest the following, as an easily doable and
7 > low-overhead (in terms of Trustees/paperwork) solution:
8 >
9 > 1. On the services identified, get extra IPs, and use the free GoDaddy
10 > certs.
11 > 2. On other services use the Gentoo-CA approach.
12
13 There's probably a reason this won't work, since I've yet to see it
14 brought up here and it's not mentioned on the bug either, but hey, I
15 don't know said reason, and it's worth the shot...
16
17 Would it be possible to setup a gentoo-certs package, versioned like any
18 other, with USE flags if necessary for installing where various browsers,
19 etc can see them?
20
21 The idea being, any time a certificate changes you create a new version
22 of gentoo-certs. "Security-clueless" users can simply be told about this
23 package, and should reasonably quickly get the idea of checking for an
24 upgrade any time they get a security warning. Certs in this package
25 would then be accepted by default, while allowing users the option of
26 installing the package or not, plus the possible USE flags, as well as
27 configuring their browser manually to reject the certs, if desired.
28
29 That would be easier in some ways and harder in others, than setting up a
30 full Gentoo-CA. However, Gentoo devs deal with packages every day, while
31 I doubt many deal with CA signing every day (umm... from the bug it looks
32 like a couple devs do... enough anyway if not every day), so it might be
33 more routine and thus easier for Gentoo to go the package route, even if
34 it's harder in the absolute.
35
36 I'd think "you need to merge or update this package" would suffice for
37 the "security-clueless", while the "security-clueful" already know the
38 deal, so no big deal for them, tho it'd lessen the hassle factor for them
39 as well.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list