From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:21:50
1 On Wednesday 11 August 2004 04:21, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > In that case you can just use Redhat instead. There is no point in
3 > customizing our tree to behave like a Redhat release (e.g. what do you
4 > do about baselayout, the initsystem, the new webapp-config, ...).
5
6 > This would create a lot of work for us for (IMO) no benefit at all.
7
8 The main point is reuse of manpower. Compatibility with commercial software is
9 a secondary benefit. Behaving identically is not desirable or practical.
10
11 My main concern is practicality. It isn't much work to create a list of
12 essential package versions from another distros stable release and pin them
13 in a frozen gentoo release. It is a lot of work to maintain a frozen tree
14 that we create ourselves from scratch; please don't underestimate this!
15 Everyone is discussing the technicalities of implementing a frozen tree, when
16 we should be discussing whether its logistically possible.
17
18 Questions:
19
20 How many developers are willing to support a new frozen tree every 6 months
21 for their packages? After 12 months you have 3 frozen trees, as well as the
22 main portage tree to support.
23
24 There are over 7000 open bugs on bugzilla with the existing tree! How are we
25 going to manage and respond to bug reports from all of these frozen tree
26 releases?
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list