From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reinstating old-school GLEPs masterplan
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 07:51:52
1 Hello,
2
3 On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > W dniu pon, 11.09.2017 o godzinie 21∶59 -0500, użytkownik R0b0t1
5 > napisał:
6 >> Hello friends,
7 >>
8 >> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 >> > W dniu pon, 11.09.2017 o godzinie 13∶29 -0400, użytkownik Michael
10 >> > Orlitzky napisał:
11 >> > > On 09/11/2017 01:08 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
12 >> > > > Hi,
13 >> > > >
14 >> > > > TL;DR: I'd like to reinstate the old-school GLEPs in .rst files rather
15 >> > > > than Wiki, put in a nice git repo.
16 >> > > >
17 >> > >
18 >> > > I generally agree with you that wiki markup is terrible and that a text
19 >> > > editor and a git repo is The Right Way to do things (with Jekyll or
20 >> > > whatever to push it to the web). But in my experience, crappy and easy
21 >> > > is a better way to get people to contribute. When I've taken wiki
22 >> > > documents and moved them into git repos, more often than not I become
23 >> > > the sole contributor, and otherwise-technical people just start emailing
24 >> > > me their contributions (which decrease greatly in frequency).
25 >> >
26 >> > [...]
27 >> >
28 >> > Then, you can just take www.gentoo.org and run it locally. It takes
29 >> > a little more effort but jekyll is really trivial to set up and run
30 >> > locally. Then you see it exactly how it's gonna look on g.o.
31 >> >
32 >
33 > I'm going to reply to the Gollum topic here since it's the first mail
34 > according to date.
37 There is a thread in gentoo-dev where I proposed the Handbook be
38 maintained with Gollum. I apologize if it was not visible, but I was
39 trying to not make a nuisance of myself.
40
41 >> I previously suggested Gollum and think I should suggest it again.
42 >> Gollum provides features relevant to a Wiki setting including web
43 >> editing.
44 >
45 > Firstly, a generic request to everyone. If you want to suggest that we
46 > are supposed to use your-favorite-tool instead of the one we have
47 > deployed for a few years now, then please include:
50 I believe I addressed all of these. Please make suggestions on my
51 writing so I can make it more readable if you have the time.
52
53 If I suggest a project I think it reasonable to expect you to refer to
54 that project's README. Here is a link:
55 https://github.com/gollum/gollum/blob/master/README.md.
56
57 > 1. A short summary including:
58 >
59 > 1a. How it fits into the desired workflow. Topics such as access control
60 > and caching are of particular interest to me.
63 It manages a Wiki using a Git repository. Access control is managed
64 through the Git repository and has Git's limitations. When using
65 Gollum it seems like access control is best done by creating
66 repositories. The web editor seems to lack authentication.
67
68 Gollum may have issues with caching[1]. Gollum is deployed by GitHub,
69 but most GitHub project Wikis may be small.
70
71 > 1b. What possible future use it could have.
74 It could maintain all public facing documents.
75
76 > 1c. How much effort will the future maintenance take.
79 I do not see how it would take more maintenance time than Jekyll. It
80 may take less as it offers Wiki specific features.
81
82 > 2. A publicly available working instance that resembles the workflow
83 > we're aiming for, or an easy way of setting one up. Easy = ~5 simple
84 > shell commands, not 'set a webserver up'.
87 The README offers concise instructions for setting up a demonstration
88 instance and scaling up. Should that be hard to read, a video is
89 available (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauxgxsLDC4).
90
91 > 3. A statement from an Infra member that is willing to set the instance
92 > up and maintain it.
95 It seems like it is your burden to interpret the suggestion and refer
96 it to the people who would be maintaining it. If you don't want to
97 then that is fine.
98
99 > Because otherwise we're only going to lose time on theoretical debates
100 > over software without even knowing if it will work at all, do what it's
101 > supposed to do, and most importantly, if someone will actually set
102 > a production instance up and maintain it afterwards.
105 It is not possible for me to know everything you would like addressed
106 in advance.
107
108 Most of the problems Gentoo faces are unique enough that I do not
109 think it is reasonable to expect a useful solution to exist. There
110 will always be problems.
111
112 > Infra already maintains enough diverse platforms/services/frameworks
113 > that serve only a single tool selected by one person who used to like
114 > it, and not maintained anymore. SMW belongs to that group.
115 >
116 >> It would not require pages be rewritten and can render
117 >> MediaWiki that is maintained in a Git repository.
118 >
119 > Secondly, even if Gollum supported MW markup to the point of rendering
120 > GLEPs (which it doesn't [1]), MW markup is not suitable for any
121 > technical specifications or serious documentation for two reasons:
122 >
123 > a. MW markup is not proper WYWIWYG. Any more complex part of
124 > the document is not readable as plaintext. Add to that the horrible
125 > syntax requiring <nowiki> use mixed with inline HTML...
126 >
127 > b. MW markup is not standalone. Our GLEPs already started heavily
128 > depending on random templates (which can change at any time, breaking
129 > GLEPs in the process btw).
132 Yes, I suppose the lack of templates might make it unusable.
133
134 I never meant to defend MW. It just might have been possible to avoid
135 rewriting many of the pages until absolutely necessary.
136
137 >> It should be all of the positives with no negatives.
138 >
139 > Is it?
142 I don't know. You are the one with more information than me. I only
143 stated as much because it genuinely seems like it is; follow up on my
144 suggestion if it looks like it may initially be suitable.
145
146 Even large problems like the lack of real authentication do not really
147 make the situation any worse than it already is with controlled Wiki
148 pages. For more restricted pages it is likely irrelevant.
149
150 There was quite a bit of research involved in my original suggestion
151 of Gollum, however I didn't think to look at some of the points you
152 brought up. It looks like it might not be suitable. It also looks like
153 there may not be anything "suitable," really, though static website
154 generation may be the least intrusive.
155
156 Respectfully,
157 R0b0t1
160 [1]: https://github.com/gollum/gollum/issues/1078