From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:45:54
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:37:07PM -0600, Gabriel wrote:
: On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Jerry A! wrote:
: > Actually, base system isn't only FSF.  The default tarball used
: > BerkeleyDB, OpenSSH, Perl (which while is GPL'd, isn't owned by the
: > FSF), etc...
: I meant "the mythical not yet provided base system", which I suppose would
: make it not Gentoo.  I have a dream of bootstrapping to a minimal system, and
: having an ebuild for every package at  I wonder what RMS would
: do once he actually had what he asked for.

What would you do without SSH?  There isn't a working GPL version.
Likewise, the only GPL'd MTA is exim.  I happen to love it, but most
people usually look at Postfix or qmail as alternatives to sendmail.

All I'm saying is don't limit yourself by sharing RMS's jingoistic

The true strength of Gentoo is that it's best-of-breed and not limit of

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@××××××.com           ||  ...It's much more important