From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:23:12
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 March 2009 22:26:41 Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> >> > > Introducing a policy encouraging moving things that definitely
4 >> >> > > aren't in the least bit likely to be a system dep on a bump, sure.
5 >> >> > > Making 1 or 2 the default for new packages, sure. But rewriting
6 >> >> > > existing things? That's just an accident waiting to happen.
7 >> >> >
8 >> >> > What kind of accident do you expect to happen?
9 >> >>
10 >> >> The same kind that always happens when lots of ebuilds get changed.
11 >> >
12 >> > ... lots of new features and a few bugs that get fixed the next day? Hey,
13 >> > that sounds quite bad. And maybe some new herd testers? How rude!
14 >>
15 >> I don't see the correlation between EAPI bumps and new herd testers.
16 >
17 > Well, ciaran said that the same thing happens that always happens when lots of
18 > ebuilds get changed. Last time I saw that happen (think KDE4) we got some nice
19 > herd testers plus a new dev or two, so I am confused too. Maybe ciaran can
20 > explain what he meant to say so we don't have to come to unexpected
21 > conclusions (that would actually be a quite nice change to the average
22 > discussion - saying what you mean instead of hinting at star constellations
23 > and the importance of meat loaf)
24 >
25 >> > So what technical reason(s) do we have to keep archaic EAPIs around
26 >> > forever?
27 >> None, luckily this is more than a technical project ;)
28 >
29 > Stop confusing me, antarus, I thought you were against removing eapi0 and now
30 > you support the removal? ;)
31
32 Editing 20000 ebuilds is not 'technical' in nature, its grunt work.
33 It is a social problem, not a technical one.
34 I also haven't stated my support in either direction since you have
35 provided no specific arguments as to why we should do this; there is
36 nothing to argue against.
39 > Anyway. Most of the "porting" effort (assuming no other issues sneaking in)
40 > would be adding a "EAPI=1" line to ebuilds, which could be done "lazily" on
41 > version bumps. There's no rush to get it killed now now now, but in a year we
42 > might be at EAPI 5, and then I don't want to be the one writing the docs that
43 > split apart what features are where and what syntax is valid and all that.
44
45 Or we might be at EAPI 3; we have no EAPI roadmap and I don't like
46 guessing. Again I'm looking for specifics here. You are asking the
47 community to do a lot of work for relatively little gain; because you
48 haven't specified what the gain is. So I ask again "What specific
49 problems does this solve?"
52 > So phasing out eapi0 would be an obvious step towards making things simpler
53 > for those of us that don't enjoy studying lists and tables ...
56 > Patrick