From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item announcing as-needed (glep 42 stuff)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:24:46
1 Joshua Saddler posted on Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:27:16 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > It should be unset; as you say, users should not be screwing with
4 > system-wide LDFLAGs, as we don't support anything but the defaults.
5 >
6 > I put an LDFLAGs FAQ in the optimization guide a long time ago:
7 >
8 > section>
9 > <title>What about LDFLAGS?</title>
10 > <body>
11 >
12 > <p>
13 > The Gentoo developers have already set basic, safe LDFLAGS in the base
14 > profiles, so you don't need to change them. </p>
15 >
16 > </body>
17 > </section
18
19 I agree with the safe bit, but that "don't need to change them" phrase is
20 self-evidently false, or Gentoo wouldn't have needed to make the
21 --as-needed change either. The change didn't magically happen the moment
22 the need appeared.
23
24 (Then again, I never believed that equally self-evidently false "no user
25 serviceable parts inside" sticker, either. When it's a few screws and a
26 50 cent fuse, and I'm the user without a microwave as a result...)
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman