From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:49:47
1 > > It prevents emerge from crashing out in the middle of what could be a
2 > > quite extensive build. Personally, I would rather rebuild one package
3 > > to get desired functionality _after_ the emerge completes than have to
4 > > fix the flags for that one package to be able to build everything else.
5
6 This is why Ciaran and I opened a bug for the Portage team to get this
7 handled up-front. Alas, I can't find the bug any more to reference it
8 here :(
9
10 You're assuming that a user can figure out how to fix the one package
11 when they realise it's broken. Unless a user looks inside the ebuild,
12 they're not going to understand why the USE flags they've selected has
13 resulted in a package that doesn't actually have those features.
14 Chances are, the user will never look.
15
16 This is going to *create* more support, not reduce it. That's hardly
17 a worthy outcome.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu