From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:07:28
1 On 03/22/2018 12:38 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 4:30 AM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 22/03/18 07:31, Benda Xu wrote:
4 >>> We might be able to require GPG signed email to make a post.
5 >> Almost definitely.
6 >>
7 >> But before bikeshedding that, it would be advisable to find out whether
8 >> it would be a good idea in the first place. Unless you want only
9 >> prospective developers to be able to contribute to the ML (maybe you do
10 >> want that?), it seems like a poor idea to unnecessarily exclude anyone
11 >> who doesn't care (nor want to care) about OpenPGP.
12 >
13 > That, and getting yourself whitelisted by a dev is gong to be a lower
14 > barrier than having to meet one in-person to have a key signed. That
15 > is unless devs just start signing keys for people they've never met
16 > (which honestly doesn't really bother me much as I don't put much
17 > faith in the WoT anyway), in which case it turns into a whitelist that
18 > only comrel can un-whitelist since I don't think you can revoke a
19 > signature.
20
21 The one issuing the signature can also revoke it (see revsig in --edit-key).
22
23 That said, I'd rather focus on our own devs having WoT and requiring it
24 to become a developer long before we require it to be part of a mailing
25 list. If anything the technical complexity of verifying it doesn't make
26 much sense to me vs a simple whitelist.
29 > Plus signing emails is a pain if you don't use an MUA that has this
30 > feature, and the web-based ones which do aren't very good.
35 Kristian Fiskerstrand
36 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
37 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3