From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: length of the DESCRIPTION variable
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:34:26
1 On Saturday 05 January 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty kirjoitti:
3 > > Current devmanual suggest to not use line lengths over 80 characters.
4 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
5 > >
6 > > I wrote a repoman check that checks that the value doesn't go over 80.
7 > > This is useful for tools like eix that show the DESCRIPTION. The thing
8 > > is that lots of ebuilds will fail this currently. Do you think we should
9 > > use a higher limit like 100? qualudis seems to use 120 currently.
10 >
11 > Seems devmanual is currently putting the limit to 80 too.
12 >
13 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html
14 >
15 > DESCRIPTION A short (less than 80 characters) description of the
16 > package's purpose.
17
18 it's always been highly recommended that the DESCRIPTION be a short string,
19 but there has never been a hard limit. if you want to have repoman warn upon
20 large strings (over 100 chars), that's fine, but there should be no hard
21 limit anywhere.
22 -mike