From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [OT/NIT] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:21:04
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > Er, you can't be seriously suggesting we will drop repoman checks with
3 > the migration to git? I don't see how that would benefit anyone.
6 Interesting point. One thing to keep in mind with git is that commits
7 don't affect the "central repository." Pushes are what impacts the
8 repository.
9
10 If I spend six months working on a bunch of coordinated package
11 changes, nobody will see a thing until I push those commits and 500
12 ebuilds all change atomically (not that I'm suggesting that lack of
13 communication is to be encouraged). A repoman check on a commit may
14 not reflect its impact six months later when it actually hits the main
15 tree.
16
17 The right time to run repoman is probably right before doing a push,
18 regardless of when any git commits were made. That isn't to say that
19 it can't be run sooner.
20
21 So, splitting something up into multiple commits can be very
22 lightweight, if repoman is only run before the push. This might
23 create a need to be able to run repoman on more than one package
24 directory, but on less than the entire tree (otherwise you'll end up
25 having to do another pull/rebase before you push anyway).
26
27 Rich