From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:27:16
1 The following is a small blurb which we would like the council to decide
2 on at their next meeting. This came about after discussions with QA team
3 members, the Devrel QA liaison, and a few council members. If anyone
4 has any suggestions for how it could be improved, I'd appreciate it.
5
6 Yes, Gentoo is supposed to be fun, but we also have a responsibility to our
7 users to ensure we are providing them with the best possible distro we
8 can. We are not out to get anyone, and hope that we never have to do
9 anything except ask you to fix the problem we have found.
10
11 And here is the document:
12
13 * The QA team's purpose is to provide cross-herd assistance in keeping
14 the tree in a good state. This is done primarily by finding and pointing
15 out issues to maintainers and, where necessary, taking direct action.
16 * The QA team may also offer to fix obvious typos and similar minor
17 issues, and silence from the package maintainers can be taken as agreement in
18 such situations.
19 * In case of emergency, or if package maintainers refuse to cooperate,
20 the QA team may take action themselves to fix the problem.
21 * In the event that a developer still insists that a package does not
22 break QA standards, an appeal can be made at the next council meeting. The
23 package should be dealt with per QA's request until such a time that a
24 decision is made by the council.
25 * In the case of disagreement on policy among QA members, the majority
26 of established QA members must agree with the action.
27 * Just because a particular QA violation has yet to cause an issue does
28 not change the fact that it is still a QA violation.
29 * If a particular developer persistently causes breakage, the QA team
30 may request that devrel re-evaluates that developer's commit rights.
31 Evidence of past breakages will be presented with this request to
32 devrel.
33 * The QA team will maintain a list of current "QA Standards". The list
34 is not meant by any means to be a comprehensive document, but rather a
35 dynamic document that will be updated as new problems are discovered.
39 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
40 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
41 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
42 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
43 http://www.halcy0n.com