From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:22:28
1 On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:56:50 -0500
2 Joshua Pollak <pardsbane@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > How will users select a package in the Bug Tracking System if there
5 > > are hundreds or even thousands of packages? Do they have to scroll
6 > > through endless lists?
7 >
8 > Well, I would break it down so you choose category, then package. That should
9 > make it short enough to search by.
10 >
11 > > The Debian BTS uses electronic mail. And there are at least two
12 > > programs, e.g. reportbug, which is written in Python, that end-users
13 > > can use to send bug reports.
14 ..
15 > Anyway, I suppose Debbugs isn't a bad option, but I am really, really, really
16 > repulsed by its web interface. I agree the web interface isn't always the
17 > best one for entering bugs, but I think a clean web interface is the easiest
18 > way to update bug status and keep track of what bugs should be worked on and
19 > where they are in progress.
20
21 Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to like how debbugs works but
22 you don't like the web interface. It would seem to me that the web
23 interface to a system as fairly simple as debbugs would be easy enough
24 to alter if you didn't like it. However, you still didn't mention
25 whether or not you've looked at http://bugs.debian.org -- personally,
26 I find the interface *easier* to use than any other. Below is an
27 taken from that page on various ways to access bug reports.
28 It doesn't look too hard to me.
29
30 http://bugs.debian.org/number
31 http://bugs.debian.org/package
32 http://bugs.debian.org/src:sourcepackage
33 http://bugs.debian.org/maintainer@×××××.address
34 http://bugs.debian.org/from:submitter@×××××.address
35
36 I haven't used roundup for more than "I got it working", but it appears
37 to be OK, and a much simpler code base than debbugs.
38
39 However, I'll admit that almost all of my work with debbugs has been
40 via email, and I find it quite useable in that manner.
41
42 I really *must* set up roundup and play with it some more.
43
44 Oh, and Python does, of course, have GTK bindings. I use them
45 every day at my work.
48 Jon Nelson
49 jnelson@×××××××.net
50 C and Python Programmer