From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:40:35
1 On Saturday 04 March 2006 00:29, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:14:41 +0000 "Stuart Herbert"
3 >
4 > <stuart.herbert@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > | If we're going to do this, then at least we should be implementing a
6 > | consistent standard across all ebuilds. F.ex, when SSL and TLS
7 > | conflict, we should have a standard saying that all ebuilds will
8 > | consistenly favour one over the other. That's much more deterministic
9 > | than having some ebuilds prefer SSL, and others prefer TLS (for
10 > | example).
11 >
12 > And what of gtk vs qt, where for many packages one is clearly the
13 > preferred choice, but which one this is varies between packages? Do
14 > *you* know which GUI is the best option for gvim and why?
15
16 Than say in the policy "For the choice TLS vs SSL choose SSL. For the choice
17 GTK vs QT choose the upstream preferred; if there is none, choose QT" (Don't
18 pin me on the choices in this example)
19
20 > Heck, it's hard enough figuring out a usable set of USE flags for PHP.
21 > If we started dieing for the three zillion or so mutually independent
22 > GUI options in gvim7 users would never actually be able to figure out
23 > how to install the thing...
24
25 The problem is that these flags are dependent. Bailing out on independent
26 useflags is not needed.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze