From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:45:02
1 On Monday 19 of December 2011 02:52:54 Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 01:08 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > > [Why are there different Reply-To: headers in -dev and in -pms MLs?
4 > > Following up to both lists.]
5 >
6 > I apologize for the mess; I had intended to bring the question up before
7 > a wider audience, but failed to think through the consequences of two
8 > mailing lists ending up in the reply-to.
9 >
10 > For the sake of keeping discussion in one thread, I ask that further
11 > replies should be made to gentoo-dev, not gentoo-pms.
12 >
13 > > How do you handle FEATURES="nodoc" if you spread the documentation all
14 > > over the filesystem? Should Portage learn about all the special cases?
15 > > IMHO it would make more sense to leave the documentation under
16 > > /usr/share/doc and either configure the documentation viewer to find
17 > > it there, or (if that's not possible) create symlinks.
18 >
19 > It's not "all over the filesystem"; in practice, the number of locations
20 > I believe is fairly small (/usr/share/gtk-doc and /usr/lib/monodoc for
21 > API documentation, and /usr/share/help, /usr/share/omf,
22 > and /usr/share/doc/HTML for end-user help files are the only ones that I
23 > know of), and adding them to portage's nodoc list seems much easier than
24 > editing hundreds of ebuilds that already install docs there.
25 >
26 > Documentation in Gentoo-specific /usr/share/doc subdirectories would not
27 > be able to link to documentation pages in other packages without
28 > fragile, hard-to-maintain scripts - and even with the best scripts,
29 > things would break on package renames. Symlinks could work, but (if the
30 > nodoc situation is resolved) would give package maintainers extra work
31 > for no real benefit.
32 >
33 > > Can we please avoid the bloat of another directory level here?
34 > > ${CATEGORY}/${PN} will be even longer than ${PF} in most cases.
35 >
36 > The problem is that ($PN, $CATEGORY) pairs are not unique.
37
38 I still think we should even make PN an unique identifier in order to be able
39 to purge categories... that's different story though...
42 regards
43 MM