From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla usage for overlays' projects [was: sunrise, a temporary compromise]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:33:02
1 This was originally supposed to go into another thread, but hey - this is a
2 perfect illustration of what I am going to talk about (to unconfuse Seemant
3 right away - this is not related to your posting but rather to the situation
4 that lead to it). I really was considering sending this as a "theoretical
5 musings" email (pointed at spyderous primarily? he seems to enjoy my rare
6 postings like these :)), but well, looks like I'll have to be somewhat
7 serious for a change.
8
9 Executive summary:
10 There is a (by now) well established knowledge on group dynamics depending on
11 its size, involving parameters such as "Dubnar's number" for example. Two
12 references I spotted just recently (well, Ok, they are from 2004 actually :))
13 can be found below:
14 http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2004/03/the_dunbar_numb.html
15 http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2004/03/what_is_the_opt.html
16
17 (and here is a more scientific writing, a "base article" for which the above
18 two are kind of illustratory/anecdotal evidence types:
19 http://www.bbsonline.org/documents/a/00/00/05/65/bbs00000565-00/bbs.dunbar.html
20 )
21
22 The first two are kind of extreme in their coverage - one talks about MMORG
23 guilds and another about terrorist cells, but hey, who said we are that
24 different ;)? Both talk about social structure/critical sizes of the groups
25 at small and medium scale. Social networks brought together towards
26 implementing some common goal, so I say observations similar to those should
27 apply to us too.
28
29 It looks like we are now at that tipping point.
30 herdstat tells me we are some 233 developers atm, which sounds damn close to
31 that "magical" number of 150 active group participants (in our case that
32 would correspond to reasonably active "regular" devs, i.e. the ones who do
33 general maintaince, participate in discussions (by at least trying to read
34 them) and at least sometimes emerge from that one small project they are
35 in..).
36
37 The suggestion "maybe this whole screaming is a something inherent to the
38 group size" has been voiced recently a few times. So yes, to me this indeed
39 seems very likely to be the case. Ironically, the later push to "cleanse"
40 inactive devs, coupled with successfull recruitment may have been the thing
41 that pushed us over (remember, "dead souls" don't count)..
42
43 So, what is the pont I am trying to make? Well, basically I just want to say
44 that the problem is real and won't go away by periodically screaming "be nice
45 to each other", since it seems to be inherent to a group size. We cannot just
46 reduce our numbers - it does not work this way. If anything, we need *more*
47 people, not less :). However at this point we cannot grow either. The main
48 idea of the original (3rd cited) paper is that this is a real limit, imposed
49 by the amount of "housekeeping interactions" that are needed to sustain a
50 group of that size, "it is the way we are" as species. As you push more
51 people in, more start leaving and for a group to grow past that limit it has
52 to restructure, assume a more diffuse interaction/more role division perhaps?
53 (Similarly, just putting "some *one* at the top won't work either without
54 restructuring the group. In fact it seems to work worse for the groups that
55 are over the "small group limit"). So, yes, we have to adress it, and lets
56 try to do it right. However lets not take this lightly, I sense a lot of
57 fights involved :), but I am optimistic of eventual outcome..
58 (But don't ask me for a grand plan - I don't have one, I hope evolution forces
59 will help us sort things out :)).
60
61 George
62
63 PS.
64 A short short summary of critical group sizes. I really need to refresh my
65 memory on that stuff though..
66
67 "Small groups" - 5 to 9, optimal - 7,8 People concentrate on one common
68 problem and interact very closely.
69
70 "Medium groups" - 25 to 150, optimal 80-90 (but when there is a clear bias to
71 add people (shiny idea/something valuable/commonly recognized as necessary)
72 it is stable at a maximum of ~150). Often involves tight "small subgroups",
73 normally specialized, general interaction is "loose" but still on a personal
74 level (even if not very intensive)
75
76 "Large groups" - I only remember the upper limit of ~2000 for those and I am
77 rusty on what is the "failing factor". Seems like a Debian situation to me
78 (with most everybody else, us included, stuck at a "medium group" level).
81 Commertial entities often overcome these issues of scale by imposing
82 a "chain-of-command" structure, effectively splitting into smaller subgroups
83 and having a hierarchial structure made of those. However this arrangement is
84 explicitly deemed unsuitable by many developers (according to voiced opinions
85 in the past).
86 I suppose we can think about some loose arrangement of small and medium
87 groups, may be even some minor modifications to our project structure can
88 help (make Top level projects = medium group, subproject = small group). This
89 one is apparent of course, but, as usual, the devil is in the details (people
90 doing work in different areas and, most importantly, how to contain the
91 interaction without prohibiting it..).
92
93 PPS
94 Sorry, this came out longer than I though, but I believe we need to have at
95 least a clear understanding of the problem. If this brings a smile on
96 somebodie's face, I say I am even :). If somebody takes this seriously, - so
97 much the better..
98 --
99 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list