From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: lafou@×××××××.fr
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:28:43
1 On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 10:20, Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
2 > totally agree ! Btw, gnumeric speed is related to version apparently,
3 > and they didn't use the official gentoo (patched) kernel ("The same
4 > 2.4.21 source was copied to all machines"). This sux !!
5
6 The Gentoo kernel would have made a big difference. Also, gnumeric is
7 plainly a dog. They also did not take into account that Mandrake uses
8 prelink on all of its binaries by default. This decreases load times
9 significantly and makes for a "snappier" system.
10
11 > I don't use gentoo for optimization, but ease of use and management :)
12 > I've tried to install a red hat 9. It's pretty fast for a i386 distro !
13 > More faster to start openoffice for exemple. But redhat network updates
14 > killed my nerves !
15
16 Once again, the OpenOffice thing is a result of prelink.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Developer, Gentoo Linux