From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News draft #2 for the udev-210 upgrade (was: 209 upgrade)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 13:25:16
1 On 02/26/2014 6:44 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >> Most future Linux systems that are based off of mainstream
4 >> distributions will *have* to use systemd+udev in order to
5 >> achieve maximum functionality.
6 >
7 > Certainly!
8
9 Clarification: I wasn't implying that that was entirely a good thing,
10 however. But that's just my opinion.
13 > And I think the reason systemd gains traction is that such maximum
14 > functionality can easily include various things which aren't available
15 > and more difficult with other choices.
16
17 I would argue that it gains traction more by providing APIs that only it can
18 implement. However efficient or sensible these APIs might be, when major,
19 upstream software projects use those APIs, you are then left with two
20 choices: switch to systemd+udev or lose the functionality offered by
21 ${MAJOR_UPSTREAM_PROJECT}. udev was the first example of this, and more
22 will follow in time.
25 > It just means that many have a changed mindset and want something else.
26
27 Many != Everyone, though. But, when you're in the minority, I guess that's
28 not really relevant. Majority takes all. C'est la vie.
31 Joshua Kinard
32 Gentoo/MIPS
33 kumba@g.o
34 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
35
36 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
37 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
38
39 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic