From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:47:40
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:26:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06.04, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:02:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
4 > > > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
5 > >
6 > > [snip]
7 > >
8 > > > 1. What is Gentoo 1.4. What it may have been intended to be in January
9 > > > is probably not what it is going to be now. Before you recruit all and
10 > > > sundry you have to define this as if it isn't defined everything will
11 > > > fall down and chaos will return. Some basic things I see is that it
12 > > > needs to be are: gcc3.3 based
13 > > > glibc2.3.2
14 > > > openssl0.9.7
15 > >
16 > > We can do this if you want to wait another couple of months.
17 > >
18 > > Unfortunately, there are some requests to have 1.4 ready for LWESF at
19 > > the beginning of Augusy
20 > This is just classical, happens everyday type stuff in electronics/software
21 > companies, espically ones who don't know what they are building with clear
22 > goals. Marketing keeps moving the requirements and dates aren't met. Some
23 > deadline finally gets set and a patch work job happens to meet THE DATE.
24
25 We know what we're building and have clear goals. Those goals have been
26 specified on this list by Daniel in the past.
27
28 With minor exceptions, _those goals are met_.
29
30 However, you're now suggesting _entirely new_ goals that _do not fit_
31 with the schedule already in mind. Marketing is irrelevant - a few
32 people said "Do you think we'll be ready for LWESF?" and I said "Yes." I
33 intend to follow up on that, now that our goals are either met or about
34 to be met. There is no 'THE DATE' that we absolutely must adhere to.
35 Instead, I'm telling you that there is no technical way we can go with
36 gcc 3.3 and openssl 0.9.7 in stable keywords without waiting a
37 significantly long period of time while work is done in those areas.
40 > > This is not viable. The tree is not gcc3.3-ready and OpenSSL 0.9.7 needs
41 > > a much more mature upgrade path, otherwise there will be serious
42 > > breakage (you need to remerge wget without ssl support, then merge the
43 > > new openssl, then rebuild everything depending on it currently).
44 > The OpenSSL upgrade is really ready, it just that the whole tree needs a
45 > rebuild which is time consumming. You have to break the cycle sooner or
46 > later. Seems to me one solution is to release a binary version of 1.4 build
47 > with the latest OpenSSL goes someway to ease that upgrade. Users can get a
48
49 Certainly, new stage1 and stage2 installs would have no problem - they
50 haven't done an emerge system yet. A stage3 with openssl 0.9.7 would
51 have no problem. Existing users or people using old stage3s would be
52 screwed. We need a better upgrade path for that in order to avoid the
53 kind of "patch work job" you described earlier.
54
55 With regards to 'breaking the cycle,' we need functionality in Portage
56 that either allows the ebuild to directly run revdep-rebuild or
57 incorporate revdep-rebuild into Portage (or preferably real reverse
58 dependencies, which will come in Portage 2.1 last I heard).
61 > working basic system maybe with kde and gnome desktops then add or rebuild at
62 > their own pace. New takers have no problems as they are current. GCC is a
63 > slightly different problem but not as large. I guess it could be solved
64 > putting different versions of GCC in slots. Glibc is pretty well there and
65 > doesn't seem to have any problems that I have noticed.
66
67 SLOTs are irrelevant to the GCC issue. The GCC issue is that the tree is
68 not ready for it. Many applications will not build and there are many,
69 many unsolved problems and weird issues that people can't track down.
70 GCC 3.3 is not production ready and I, for one, am not interested in
71 pushing people to release a broken compiler on the masses for the sake
72 of saying "we're up to date!" - can you please justify pushing GCC 3.3
73 before it's ready?
74
75 glibc is just about set, yes. Note that I didn't say anything about
76 glibc in my email.
80 [snip
81 > > > 3. What platform should be supported at release time. Here I think x86
82 > > > and maybe x86-64. Targeting too many will just delay it. Have some
83 > > > other dates for the rest to follow.
84 > >
85 > > We target all platforms that're release-ready. Right now, that's x86,
86 > > ppc, and sparc. Release-ready means the tree is prepped, the stages and
87 > > LiveCDs can be built, install documents are up on the site.
88 >
89 > Well if you ask me, thats too many for an August deadline. Do the best that
90 > can be done with x86 and have the rest follow by a month. That way any nasty
91 > bugs can be squashed before the other 2 hit the stand but I guess the
92 > Marketing Dept has mandated that all 3 will be ready at the same time. :)
93
94 That's not too many for an August deadline: I'm not sure where you got
95 that idea. They'll be ready at the same time because it makes sense for
96 them to be ready at the same time to have a uniform release. There is no
97 reason _not_ to release them at the same time.
98
99 If a specific arch leads decides they're not ready for a 1.4 release,
100 they won't be released. I'm not going to mandate that archs that aren't
101 ready have a release, but I'm not going to refuse to release what's
102 ready, either.
103
104 Marketinng Dept? We have nothing to gain from 'marketing' except for
105 providing a superior product to users. I am sorry that providing a
106 superior product to users and attempting to avoid any inconvienence to
107 users does not fit with what you would like. I am not willing to push
108 gcc 3.3 yet because it breaks for a lot of people; I am not willing to
109 push openssl 0.9.7 out of package.mask because many people will have
110 broken systems without a better upgrade path. I am sorry that you do not
111 understand QA.
115 > > > These are just really fundementals but until the requirements are
116 > > > documented things will never really come together.
117 > > >
118 > > > Get things out in the open. Gentoo-core is probably the worst idea
119 > > > someone ever came up with, OSS development is meant to be a very
120 > > > transparent process. Make it transparent. I know there are always
121 > > > private issues but if they involve more than 3 people then perhaps they
122 > > > should be public.
123 > >
124 > > We are making it transparent by discussing development on gentoo-dev.
125 > Don't tell me, someone woke up this morning and formed a new management
126 > structure, honest :) You know you need this transparent as it is the only
127 > hope of it getting done in time. It's not a big deal for me actually, it's
128 > just that of ppl where primed and ready for the announcement you would be
129 > more than halfway towards meeting the objectives.
130
131 Can you explain what you mean here? Getting what done
132 in time? Which announcement? Which objectives?
135 > Anyway, from another comment it is impossible to define goals for Gentoo
136 > therefore I would submit it is impossible to have a 1.4 release. I have no
137 > problems with that, marketing probably does though.
138
139 Now you're really grasping at straws. Can you tell me which comment says
140 that it's impossible to define goals for Gentoo?
141
142 What marketing? The fact that I said that it'd be nice to have something
143 to hand out on CDs to people for LWESF so they can go home and install
144 Gentoo suddenly means everything we do is based on marketing?
145
146 I apologize for all of us for trying to provide you, the users, with a
147 superior product, good QA, and convienent upgrades.
150 Jon Portnoy
151 avenj/irc.freenode.net
154 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list