From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o, dev-portage@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possibility of overriding user defined INSTALL_MASK from an ebuild?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:00:18
1 Dnia 2014-02-28, o godz. 15:28:30
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > It would be very helpful if INSTALL_MASK could be overriden from an
5 > ebuild, if user hasn't
6 > set otherwise.
7 > So it could be configured like USE_ORDER which is
8 > "env:pkg:conf:defaults:pkginternal:repo:env.d"
9 > So INSTALL_MASK_ORDER like "ebuild:${user's own INSTALL_MASK}"
10 > This would be very helpful in preventing people from shooting themself
11 > in the foot
12 >
13 > The only problem is that I propably don't have enough python skills to
14 > make that happen w/
15 > sys-apps/portage. But does the suggestion make sense? Should I open a
16 > feature request bug?
17
18 I don't think this really makes sense. It sounds like putting a new
19 carpet on top of spoiled milk.
20
21 INSTALL_MASK is pretty much complete by itself. Letting ebuilds
22 override INSTALL_MASK is pretty much going against the main goal
23 of INSTALL_MASK. And this is going to cause users to want to override
24 the override...
25
26 Which, pretty much, means that the hacks are going to pile up.
27
28 How about just checking INSTALL_MASK in pkg_pretend() and dying when it
29 removes udev? That should work and be quite easy to implement.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny