From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2009.0 profiles
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:32:18
1 On Friday 11 September 2009 19:48:03 George Prowse wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > ...
4 >
5 > Why not tie the the thing that makes Gentoo unique and one of the major
6 > reasons why users use it to the version numbers - Portage.
7 >
8 > We had 1.2, then 1.4 then 2004.0 and if i'm not mistaken portage is at
9 > 2.1 currently. Tie it in and we have 2.2 (currently masked) next. Add
10 > release candidates along the way and everyone is happy. But i'm sure
11 > there is a million reasons why this is wrong... Bring on the wrath.
12
13 these two things simply dont make sense to tie together. profiles control the
14 default configuration for your system (USE flags / build flags / etc...) while
15 portage is a package manager. version changes in the package manager dont
16 directly relate in any way to the default configuration the user has selected.
17 -mike