From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:29:23
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 17:31, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > As I pointed out on irc (to clarify), its still an issue even with
3 > gcc-3.4.6. Its just well enough filtered, and as Mike pointed out, they
4 > 'fixed' it in 3.4.5 via specs, and 3.4.6 by backporting patches from
5 > 4.0.1 I think.
6 For what I know, the last issue was fixed with 3.3/3.4, so this sounds new to
7 me.
8 That said, I think this is up to now the only point that would make me rethink
9 over this whole idea. For a pure simple and practical problem.
10
11 > I did not imply this as far I know, and if it seemed that way, I can
12 > only say that I assumed that newer guys had the advantage of most
13 > ebuilds filtering or -mno-sse/whatever for known broken stuff
14 Probably, but never assume that gentoo is the first experience for everyone ;)
15 I had my own share of GCC problems way before, and I remember how much shit
16 GCC 3.2 created, 3.3 compared to it was a different order of magnitude: it
17 worked.
18
19 > I'd say only 4.0.1 and upwards really solved most of those issues,
20 > especially the long comming sse one.
21 Maybe because SSE wasn't that widespread in the past, I remember most issues
22 to be related to MMX/3Dnow! extensions mainly, a part a big one with -msse
23 that I thought dead with GCC 3.3, but I might be mistaken on that then, and I
24 beg you pardon in that case.
25
26 Of course there's the usual -mfpmath=sse that do cause problems on 32-bit
27 systems (although it's the default on 64-bit).
30 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
31 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE